Okay, so only about a week before Christmas to go, and you are seriously in need of a gift for the writer in your life. And if that person is Jewish, um, you’re a little late–Chanukah ended two nights ago. >.<
But never fear! The following is my no-fail list of great gifts for writers. They’re good at any time of year. So read on, and you’ll be able to cross one more person off your holiday list.
Great gifts for writers
- Really nice pens. Like, rollerball. Not ballpoint. You don’t have to go all Monteblanc on us, but bonus points if the pen has one of those comfort-grippy handles.
- Notebooks for lefties. I happen to be a righty, but I support the cause. (*thumps chest with fist*)
- An hour-long massage for our aching backs and shoulders from leaning over keyboards, or aforesaid notebooks with aforesaid pens.
- Babysitters. In the name of Tolkien, babysitters.
- Books (you knew it was coming). Or gift cards for yet more books. Because gifted writers have been known to read a few.
- A new e-reader. Or perhaps a gently used one.
- An autographed anything by our favorite author.
- If, by some miracle, the economy has been good to you: a laptop, netbook, or souped-up writing software. Even if we never use that last one, we can stare at it on our new laptop, and marvel at how pretty it is.
- Writing material. Try tripping on something and making it look like an accident. Then help us work a blog/book angle into it. Perhaps we can etch a novella onto your cast? What? Don’t look at me like that. Don’t you want to support the writing process?
- Babysitters. Because it bears repeating. Without them, no parents of toddlers will get any major writing done.
- A website, or website/blog redesign. Sometimes even a critique helps. Because what better gift could you give an aspiring writer than help with their platform?
- A gift certificate for editing/proofreading services. And not that I’m prejudiced (*cough*), but my editor Marcia Trahan offers writer gift certificates and she’s fabulous.
- Did I mention baby sitters?
P.S. Thanks for the thought, but for the love of god we have enough blank journals to fill a warehouse!
What are your top gifts for writers? What is the best gift as a writer that you’ve ever received? Tell me in the comments!
(Top image by timlewisnm)